Masking Policy Update
As of January 2, 2024, we have reached a high level of respiratory virus activity. You will see the following changes at Mass General Brigham:
- Your care team and other staff will wear a facility-issued face mask during direct interactions with patients in patient rooms and other clinical care areas where direct care is provided.
- Patients and visitors will be strongly encouraged to wear a facility-issued face mask during direct interactions with staff in patient rooms and clinical care areas where direct care is provided.
- Patients and visitors do not have to mask if they prefer not to.
- Masking is not required in lobbies and other common areas. Learn more about the masking policy update.
Types of Visitors
- Patient visitors are those who come to Mass General Brigham locations to visit or support patients. Patient visitors may also include support persons. Support persons include birth partners, parents/caregivers of patients under 18 years old, attorneys of patients, and designated support persons for patients with disabilities.
- Essential visitors are those who are not Mass General Brigham employees but come to our facilities to provide essential functions. For example, these include EMS, law enforcement, vendors and contractors, and volunteers.
- Elective visitors are other non-employee, non-patient visitors. These include people visiting for educational, research, administration, or other purposes, who are hosted by our employees.
For Inpatient Visitors
Mass General Brigham hospitals will only permit two patient visitors at a time per patient. Support persons are considered in addition to the patient visitors.
Under some circumstances, facilities may need to restrict visits more than the above.
Visiting Hours: Daily from 11 am – 8 pm
For Outpatient Visitors
One patient visitor or support person is allowed in outpatient areas (areas for patients who are not admitted to the hospital, for example, in the emergency room, surgical or procedural rooms, or clinics).
Please note that in some situations, we may need to limit visitors to ensure patient and staff safety.
All visitors and support persons must meet the requirements below.
Requirements for all Visitors and Support Persons
Please note that our screening and masking policies have changed as of May 12, 2023, following the end of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency.
Learn more about our updated policies here.
Updated May 24, 2023