Care and Treatment at Martha's Vineyard Hospital
Our affiliate, Massachusetts General Hospital, provides anesthesia coverage for our hospital through physicians from its Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine. Other benefits of this collaboration include assistance with newborn resuscitation during deliveries, post-operative recovery, ventilator management, support for endoscopic procedures and on-Island pre-operative testing for patients scheduled for major surgical procedures at MGH in Boston.
Martha’s Vineyard Hospital provides anesthesia coverage for our surgical and maternity departments through our affiliate, Massachusetts General Hospital’s Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine.
What kind of Anesthesia Is available?
There are several types of anesthetic techniques available. The recommended anesthetic technique will depend upon several factors including:
- Your surgical procedure
- Your medical history
- Your preference.
There are four anesthetic options, alone or in combination available:
- Local Anesthesia – The surgeon will inject local anesthetic to provide numbness at the surgical site.
- Monitored Anesthesia Care (MAC) – The surgeon will inject local anesthesia, to provide pain control during and after the procedure. In addition, the anesthesia team may inject sedatives and pain medication through your intravenous line. While you are sedated, your anesthesia team will monitor your vital body functions.
- Regional Anesthesia – This involves injection of local anesthesia around nerves in the area of your body corresponding to the surgical procedure site.
- Epidural or spinal blocks anesthetize the stomach area and both lower extremities.
- Nerve block may be done in the arm or leg to anesthetize individual extremity.
- General anesthesia Anesthesia – is given intravenously or through an anesthesia mask (as in young children) to render unconsciousness, loss of feeling and awareness.f
Get the Facts
Did You Know?
Boston MedFlight trips took place from MVH in 2019; all thanks to our partnership with MGB and MGH.